Search This Blog

Sunday, September 29, 2013

A page from an artist book I did in 1998 entitled 'detail; western wisdom' using found photographs and my own 'exploratory texts'

The image is of two of Brisbane's notable fashion retailers and agents - Ray & Dawn Petersen. Fifi's of Piccardilly (arcade) was an early 1960's boutique and as such a social party machine for the couple who played hard and fast. When Ray died his mother sold all his personal effects to a second hand dealer in Bulimba and thats where I swooped on this image. It took a few visits to Annies to extract the three I have. Daniel Lightfoot and I always shrieked about how camp we thought Ray really was . . . I have passed this and another shot to Nadia and Madeleine who are researching and coordinating The Fashion Archive.
This artist book was produced in a series of 21 and only one remains with me. It was dedicated to John Nelson a painter (and gardening) friend, it used found images and the texts were a play on the left hand way that I subscribe to. It is an all-time favourite of mine, I should produce another set one day.
Here is the other image I have shared for publication



No comments:

Post a Comment