Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

'fumsup' and associated WW1 lucky charms in the urban_archaeology collection




I guess there are different degrees of collecting intensity, for the first 40 years of collecting I've been happy riding the 'chance' horse. I find something in my travels that speaks to me and says 'let me join the others you have' so I'm delighted to give them a new home. I've only found three of these charms but I could clean-up if I contacted Sandy, this on-line dealer in the UK has numerous items & supplies a good deal of historical information, click here.
The internet has enabled me to seek and find items outside my personal range or territory, that's for sure. The smaller items are post-friendly and armed with a PayPal account, set eBay searches and favourite sellers, the world is my oyster.

Again, these are just out of the 'loaded' drawer, scanned and photoshoped. No silver dip, not even a cloth polish.

I was surprised that the actual notion of 'touching wood' is not covered in *Desmond Morris' most comprehensive book entitled 'Body Guards' - protective amulets and charms. The thumbs-up is mentioned in his chapter entitled, helping hands but I'm not convinced this Roman sign of life is in any way tied to the magic of the 'fumsup'. If anyone knows the origin of touch wood for luck, kindly send me a comment please? * ISBN 1-86204-572-0

No comments:

Post a Comment