Search This Blog

Monday, May 10, 2010

The last of the 'protectors' and three that have a special place in my heart


These four images are of Meher Baba, the Avatar. I spent 14 months in India between 1971 and 1972 and was present at his third Amartithi - January 1971 at Meherabad, Poona, India. I shall never forget the 'doohni' fire, especially the attendant experience as every devotee placed a small twig onto this magical fire after they had all committed their pledges and thoughts for a better future - expressions of desires to be cast off and a prayer for assistance and gifts that they individually wished for in their spiritual journeys. Saints rein on that sub-continent - anyone wearing an image of a saint is taken very seriously, I always declared my Love for Baba by wearing one of these pieces. The top and bottom left pendant was given to me by Erich, Baba's longest serving lieutenant. The upper right was a gift from Baba's sister Mani, bottom right was one badge I managed to swap with an American pilgrim.

One site I visit regularly is a mustache blog - I thought that these would go down a treat . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment