Search This Blog

Friday, April 15, 2011

Mr Fourex mascot

The historical truth has never been substantiated, Castlemain Perkins Brewery say the mascot was either based on the (then) General Manager - Mr Paddy Fitzgerald or a popular dwarf who sold newspapers in the Fortitude Valley in Brisbane during 1924. I know better because my Grandfather Mr Lol Hansen, had a furniture factory in Caxton Street in the early 1950s. He was a beer drinker and from his place of business we could see down to where the brew was made and bottled, the little mascot was on the building and I always thought it was him.
I actually hate this drop, it is full of preservatives but it remains the most popular local ale.
I have already posted a XXXX piece as a graphic but have never shown this rare promotional piece. The mascot has a famous wink, these sandwiched lenses have a cardboard pack and depending on the angle - I can still see my Grandpa winking.
A friend and neighbor in Tunbridge Tasmania is a retired second hand dealer, he passed this little pin on to Barbara for repair. It is unusual also because it is set with small Diamonds, I've bought and sold a few plain ones in my time collecting. We have repaired the pin and polished the little mascot and just prior to dispatch I made the scan and this post (which is a bugger really). This opens up another thought I have had recently - another category of focus on - anthropomorph, more soon when I show you my collection of "Ye Trusted Servant" from Winchester U.K.

No comments:

Post a Comment